Prompt 5
Throughout the book only certain philosopher’s ideas
stood out to me. The ones that connected with nature and wanted to explain the
difference between matter and mind really stood out to me. It made me think
about all the questions they asked in depth and made me realize my views on
things a little bit better than what I usually would have thought of things
around me.
I believed the most with Kant and Aquinas theories. They
both had strong points and with less broad examples made the most sense to me.
I believe that you should have an open mind on things instead of one certain
perspective throughout life. I also believe with Aquinas on the fact that there
is only one truth but I believe that there are different ways to believe it. As
long as you know that there is a God, believe in him, and live to serve him I
think how you come around to believing in him does not really matter. I also
believe that he could use past teachings to prove God’s existence. Just like
how he says we know God created nature because it is obviously all around us,
but you have to have faith in God to understand everything else. A philosophy
that I did not really agree with was Shelling’s idea of humans being one with
nature. I believe that yes our bodies were created from the Earth but our souls
are not connected with nature at all. Nature is only put on Earth to help keep
us and animals survive. I do not understand how humans are supposedly
spiritually can be connected to non living things and plants that are used to
eat. The only thing that nature could have a spiritual effect on us is if God
uses it to push us in a different direction or to show that he really does exist.
When it comes to which side of the rabbit fur, I would
have to go more towards the rabbits’ skin. I do not feel the need to question
every little thing around me. I understand that there is a reason for me on
this Earth and the only thing I am worried about is trying to live up to that
and God’s whole purpose for me being here. I have no reason to question him, or
if I am connected with the nature, or get a closer understanding of it when
some day I will be up in heaven and God will simply explain it all. Living life
worrying about things like that can lead people to become confused and question
every detail in their life and all I am worried about is living life to the
fullest.
I like your perspective at the end when you say "you shouldn't spend your whole life worrying," but there is importance in questioning things/ideas in life. It helps us to grow cognitively. We are always learning new things, and no human can know everything, but it is beneficial to look at the world through different perspectives and not only your own. Good work. 20/20
ReplyDelete